This is a showcase of a bit of software I’ve been writing. I am a newbie drummer and wanted to spice up some practice with a light show so this links the lights in my room (Philips HUE bulbs) with my drumkit.
I haven’t opened the repository for the codebase yet. But if there is demand I will tidy it up and put it on github.
A few things to note
I only show you 2 ‘modes’ that I’ve implemented:
- Change color - Reactive to your hits-per-minute (HPM):
- orange when idle,
- 200+ HPM and you get blue
- 600+ HPM and you get red
- NOTE: these are sampled every 0.7 seconds and your HPM is estimated from that.
- Blink - Reactive to a certain drum being hit:
- In the second shorter clip, the lights blink every time I hit the left cymbal
There is another mode called variety which changes the lights the more different drums you hit per second. And actually I have Ideas for more of them.
So what now?
Where is this going then? Well if there is interest I need more people to try the APP and test it on other drumkits. I also need feature requests and ideas as well as contributors to the code (written in Rust).
Anyway, Peace out!